Business Development Manager
Flexible Location (Lanham, MD; New York, NY; Guilford, CT)
Rowman & Littlefield is in search of a Business Development Manager for its industry-leading distribution arm, National Book Network (NBN). As part of the sales and marketing team, this person will be responsible for identifying, establishing, and onboarding new clients. The most qualified candidate will nurture new client relationships by ensuring that they receive the proper tools during onboarding, as well as dedicated time and attention to meet immediate day-to-day business needs and long-term strategic objectives.
The following is a summary of responsibilities and requirements for this position. Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Build and maintain a target list of potential publisher clients and prospect for potential new clients.
- Develop tools for prospecting; create quotes and proposals; respond to RFP’s as needed
- Schedule meetings with decision makers
- Attend industry functions, events and conferences, while providing feedback and information to further enhance distribution offerings
- Meet or exceed annual revenue targets
- Function as the primary day-to-day point of contact for new clients, acting as advocate, problem-solver, and trusted advisor.
- Work effectively between Customer Service, Operations, Finance, and the Distribution Center departments, developing a strong knowledge of internal systems and procedures to effectively provide client solutions on a variety of special projects.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence effectively at all levels of an organization, including excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven publishing, book selling, business development, or marketing experience, with 5+ years preferred
- Strong analytical and computer skills including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Eagerness to engage in person and virtually with colleagues and new prospects at meetings, trade shows, and company events
Compensation will be a combination of salary and commission.
About Our Company
Rowman & Littlefield—an independent publisher with an outstanding reputation—publishes innovative, high-quality college texts, provocative and timely titles for general readers, and professional and scholarly books throughout the humanities and social sciences. Headquartered in Maryland, R&L also has offices in New York City, Boulder, Colorado, Connecticut, and London.
Rowman & Littlefield
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with a disability to participate in the application process and to perform the essential functions of the job. Please refer to www.rowman.com/Page/HR for Rowman & Littlefield’s Equal Employment Opportunity–Affirmative Action Policy Statement, as well as additional information relating to equal opportunity employment.