Assistant Production Editor
Rowman & Littlefield is seeking two Assistant Editors for its production department in Lanham, Maryland. The Assistant Editor works independently to produce a workload of 35 to 40 titles annually. Responsibilities include managing 12 to 15 titles simultaneously at various stages of production; coordinating deadlines with typesetters, cover designers, freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers, authors, and acquisitions and marketing staff; and reviewing the quality of the manuscript, page proofs, and cover proofs at various stages.
- Coordinate the production of 35 to 40 books annually.
- Act as a liaison for all the parties involved in seeing a project from manuscript to finished book—authors, vendors, designers, compositors, and so on.
- Correspond with the Library of Congress and the Copyright Office.
- Complete and distribute regular reports to keep managers and other departments up to date on the status of various projects
- Please note: this is an editing job, not a writing job. While strong written communication skills are essential, writing is not a component of the position.
- BA in the humanities (English preferred)
- Two to three years of publishing experience (book production experience is strongly preferred)
- Knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style (familiarity with APA and/or AAA style a bonus)
- Knowledge of MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access) and Windows
- Excellent communication and time-management skills
About Our Company
An independent publisher with an outstanding reputation, Rowman & Littlefield publishes innovative, high-quality college texts, provocative and timely titles for general readers, and professional and scholarly books throughout the humanities and social sciences. Headquartered in Maryland, R&L also has offices in New York City, Boulder, Colorado, Connecticut, and London. If you are interested in applying for this position, you can apply directly through our website at https://rowman.com/Page/HR by clicking “APPLY NOW” at the top of the page.
Rowman & Littlefield
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with a disability to participate in the application process and to perform the essential functions of the job. If you are a candidate with a disability in need of an accommodation in the application process, please send an email to email@example.com.