Rowman & Littlefield is seeking a security guard to work 16-24 hours a week. The successful candidate will be available to work weekends, holidays or occasional weekday evening shifts. This position requires a background reference and drug test in accordance with company policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Tact and diplomacy, able to work as part of a team, able to work independently, good communication skills, good interpersonal skills, integrity and honesty.
- Promote security policies and operational procedures within the organization.
- Monitor security surveillance system and resets alarms once notified by Tyco Security office.
- Maintains security shift logs and makes hourly round visits to designated areas within the facility.
- During rounds, ensures all parameter doors and windows are closed and locked. Encore employees have a card reader to access assigned doors for entry after normal business hours.
- Calls the local police department for security incidents requiring police assistance.
- Calls the local fire department in the event of a fire on the property or building.
- Security Guard uniforms are supplied by the company. On duty security guards will wear a security guard uniform and dress in a professional manor.
- Reads and understands the Security Guard SOP manual to include the company call roster in the event a hazardous situation beyond the security guards control.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Prior security guard or police department related experience and/or training is preferred. Or a combination of education and experience in relationship to security will be considered. Must have basic computer skills and know how to use Email. Candidate must pass a background reference and drug test prior to being hired.
Ability to read and interpret general security standard operating procedures. Ability to write log reports. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, police, fire department and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as addition, division, subtraction and multiplication.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb staircases, sit, and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
About Our Company
An independent publisher with an outstanding reputation, Rowman & Littlefield publishes innovative, high-quality college texts, provocative and timely titles for general readers, and professional and scholarly books throughout the humanities and social sciences. Headquartered in Maryland, R&L also has offices in New York City; Boulder, Colorado; and London.
Rowman & Littlefield
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Please refer to www.rowman.com/Page/HR for Rowman & Littlefield’s Equal Employment Opportunity–Affirmative Action Policy Statement, as well as additional information relating to equal opportunity employment.