Scripture, Texts, and Tracings in Galatians and 1 Thessalonians advances the interpretation of these letters by exploring how the Apostle Paul quotes, alludes to or "echoes" the Jewish Scriptures and other ancient materials. Comparative wording is at the forefront, whether in relation to Abraham, Sarah, Hagar, or prophecies and promises from Genesis, Habakkuk, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, the Psalms, or other texts such as Philo. Issues and controversies include such topics as faith (ἐκ πίστεως), the Torah, the Holy Spirit, holiness, suffering, eschatology, allegorical interpretation, identity of the Israel of God, Zion and the return from exile, Roman piety, imperialism, and hidden transcripts.
A. Andrew Das is Niebuhr Distinguished Chair and professor of Religious Studies at Elmhurst University.
B. J. Oropeza is professor of biblical studies at Azusa Pacific University and Seminary in Azusa, California.
Introduction: Scripture, Texts, and Tracings in Galatians and 1 Thessalonians — A. Andrew Das and B. J. Oropeza
Paul’s Engagement with Scripture in Galatians
1. Divine Identity and the Resurrection in Galatians 1:1–5: An Exploration of the Intertextual Matrix Underlying Paul’s Redefinition of God’s Identity — Matthew S. Harmon
2. Breaking Down, Rebuilding, and Transgressing What in Galatians 2:18? Paul’s Use of Scriptural Metaphors and a New Interpretation — Nicolai Techow
3. The “Righteous by Faith Shall Live” … in the Spirit: Galatians 2:16–3:14 and Salvific Life — B. J. Oropeza
4. Cursed by Law-Breaking, Blessed in Abraham (Galatians 3:8–14) — Craig S. Keener
5. Habakkuk 2:4 in Galatians: Rewritings and Snippet Quotations — Roy E. Ciampa
6. “These Things are Spoken Allegorically”: Paul and Christian Interpretation of Scripture — Mark A. Seifrid
7. Listening with Philo to Our Mother Sarah: Assessing the Validity and Value of Allegoresis Implicit in Paul’s Use of It — Ernest P. Clark
8. Galatians 6:16’s Riddles and Isaiah 54:10’s Contribution: Gentiles Joining the Israel of God? — A. Andrew Das
9. Justification by Suffering: The Register of Old Testament Lament in Galatians— Channing L. Crisler
10. Counter-Narratives in Galatians — Christoph Heilig
Paul’s Engagement with Scripture in 1 Thessalonians
11. Scripture as Paul’s Foundational Ethic in 1 Thessalonians 4.1–12 — Jeffrey A. D. Weima
12. Called to Consecration: Jewish Holiness, Roman Piety, and Moral Discourse in 1 Thessalonians — Nijay K. Gupta