Trim: 6 x 9
978-1-7936-1703-3 • Hardback • November 2019 • $100.00 • (£77.00)
978-1-7936-1704-0 • eBook • November 2019 • $95.00 • (£73.00)
Anthony P. Coleman is assistant professor of theology at Anna Maria College and author of Lactantius the Theologian: Lactantius and the Doctrine of Providence.
Preface. One Thing Needful: Catholic Higher Education 50 Years After Land O’ Lakes
Anthony P. Coleman, Ph.D.
Preliminary Assessments and Considerations
1. On Leisure and Knowledge
Rev. James V. Schall, S.J. (†)
2. Leisure, Labor, and Culture
Robert Royal, Ph.D.
3. Martha and Mary: Putting First Things First in a College Education
Michael A. Scaperlanda, Esq.
4. The Urgency of Restoring the Catholic (and catholic) Nature of Higher EducationTeresa Stanton Collett, J.D.On Teachers and Teaching
5. Three Precepts on Teaching
Wilfred M. McClay, Ph.D.
6. W(h)ither the Liberally Educated Teacher?: An Historical Reflection
7. Teaching to the Transcendent
Daniel Guernsey, Ed.D.
Guiding Lights: Studies of Forms and Figures
8. Catholic Education and Formation in the Arts and Sciences: Listening to Josef Pieper and Hugh of Saint Victor
Patrick Powers, Ph.D.
9. The Liberal Arts amidst Contemporary Social Structures: The Case of Frodo Baggins
John Macias, Ph.D.
10. Wendell Berry, the Liberal Arts, and the Quest for Place
11. Benedictine Education and Temporal Freedom
Jason Fugikawa, Ph.D.
12. A Body of Work: Labor and Culture in Karol Wojtyła and Karl Marx
Angela Franks, Ph.D.
About the Contributors