The Statistical Abstract of the United States has provided a statistical portrait of social, political, demographic, and economic conditions of America since 1878. This 2023 edition continues the heritage begun so long ago by the U.S. government, with the U.S. Census Bureau being the last agency to produce the compendium at government expense. Now in our eleventh annual edition, Rowman & Littlefield and ProQuest carry on the proud tradition and responsibility of creating the statistical portrait of America.
Long-time users of the Statistical Abstract of the United States expect each new edition to carry forward much of the content from prior editions, as well as introduce new data as America continues to evolve. Our editors are committed to updating the long-standing, historical statistics as new data become available, as well as researching new topics to cover.
This 2023 Edition contains nearly 40 new tables on topics including individual income taxes, IRS audits, school shootings, COVID-19 related changes to school instruction, employment of undergraduate students, energy distribution system reliability, air pollution by metropolitan statistical area, COVID-19 deaths, disability rates, health status and access to health care, abortions, space-related industries employment, nonimmigrant admissions, Puerto Rico GDP and trade, foreign military sales, and federal agriculture subsidies.
Some specific new tables include:
- School Shootings and Casualties by Type of Casualty and Level of School: 2000 to 2021
- Air Pollution—Air Quality Index Days at Unhealthy Levels by Selected Metropolitan Statistical Area: 1980 to 2020
- Public and Private Schools Reporting Changes to Instruction During COVID-19 Pandemic by Selected School Characteristics and Type of Change: 2020
- Energy Distribution System Reliability—Number and Duration of Electric Interruption Events: 2013 to 2020
- Puerto Rico—Gross Domestic Product: 2012 to 2019
- Puerto Rico—Exports and Imports of Goods and Services by Type of Product: 2012 to 2019
- Prisoner Recidivism by Selected Characteristics: 2012 to 2017
- Presidential Campaign Receipts and Disbursements by Political Party: 1991 to 2020
- Federal Individual Income Tax Returns—Number, Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), and Income Tax by Size of AGI: 2018 and 2019
- Individual Income Tax Summary: 1986 to 2019
- Space-Related Industries Employment and Compensation by Industry: 2015 to 2019
- IRS Audits—Individual Income Tax Returns Filed and Examined: 2010 to 2018
- IRS Audits—Corporate and Partnership Income Tax Returns Filed and Examined: 2010 to 2018