With twenty-five essays, seven of which are new to the eighth edition, this best-selling volume examines the nature, morality, and social meanings of contemporary sexual phenomena. Topics include: sexual desire and activity, masturbation, Sexual orientation, asexuality, transgender issues, Zoophilia, rape, casual sex and promiscuity, love and sex, polyamory, sexual consent, sexual, perversion, sexual ethics, objectification, BDSM, sex and technology, sex and race, and sex work. Updated and new discussion questions offer students starting points for debate in both the classroom and the bedroom.
Raja Halwani is professor of philosophy at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
Jacob M. Held is professor of philosophy and assistant provost for Academic Assessment and General Education at the University of Central Arkansas.Natasha McKeever is lecturer in philosophy at the University of Leads.
Alan Soble is emeritus professor of philosophy at the University of New Orleans and teaches at Drexel University.
1. Are We Having Sex Now or What?, Greta Christina
2. Sexual Perversion,Thomas Nagel
3. Plain Sex, Alan Goldman
4. Sex and Sexual Perversion, Robert Gray
*5. Masturbation and the Continuum of Sexual Activities, Alan Soble
*6. Love: What’s Sex Got to Do with It?, Natasha McKeever
7. Is “Loving More” Better? The Values of Polyamory, Elizabeth Brake
*8. What Is Sexual Orientation?, Robin Dembroff
*9. Sexual Orientation: What Is It?, Kathleen Stock
*10. Asexuality, Luke Brunning and Natasha McKeever
11. LGBTQ ... Z?, Kathy Rudy
*12. How to Be a Pluralist About Gender Categories, Katharine Jenkins
13. The Negotiative Theory of Gender Identity and the Limits of First-Person Authority, Burkay Ozturk
14. Racial Sexual Desires, Raja Halwani
*15. Sex and Technology: The Ethics of Virtual Connection, Neil McArthur
*16. A Realist Sexual Ethics, Micah Newman
17. Sexual Morality and the Concept of Using Another Person, Thomas Mappes
18. Sexual Use, Alan Soble
19. Dark Desires, Seiriol Morgan
20. The Harms of Consensual Sex, Robin West
21. Casual Sex, Promiscuity, and Objectification, Raja Halwani
22. Is Prostitution Harmful?, Ole Martin Moen
23. BDSM, Shaun Miller
24. Two Views of Sexual Ethics: Promiscuity, Pedophilia, and Rape, David Benatar
25. Sexual Gifts and Sexual Duties, Alan Soble
A Bibliography of the Philosophy of Sex
*new to this edition
Philosophy of Sex is absolutely guaranteed to open minds and stimulate discussion both in and outside the classroom.
The only book currently on the market that covers such a vast expanse of topics of sexual ontology, gender identity, sexual ethics, and non-traditional sexual preferences and relationships in a thorough and systematic way. It truly reflects the ever-changing landscape of the issues surrounding sex in the 21st century, representing the top-notch quality of work done by the experts in the field.
Summaries and study questions for each essay
Eight new chapters feature discussions of asexuality, transgender issues, masturbation, polyamory, and sex work
Updated bibliography offers comprehensive resource for researchers
Discussion questions for each essay