With The Essential Guide to Hiking with Dogs, you and your four-legged friend can be ready for anything the wilderness might throw at you. Set yourselves and others up for the very best hiking experience. Need-to-know topics are covered for the novice hiker or new owner, from trail etiquette to leave no trace ethics, important gear and packing guides to essential commands you should train on the trail. Featuring beautiful and illustrative photography, this must-have guide will inform and inspire any adventure dog and their parents.
Inside you’ll find:
Jen Sotolongo is a writer, content creator, and dog mom from the Pacific Northwest. She runs the popular adventure dog blog, Long Haul Trekkers, which features tips for hiking and camping, trip reports, and favorite outdoor travels with dogs around the world. Jen lives in Bend, Oregon.
Who is This Book For?
1. Finding the Right Adventure Buddy
2. Shaping your Adventure Dog
3. Working with a Professional Trainer
4. Trip Planning
5. Trail Etiquette
6. Hiking with a Reactive Dog
7. Practicing Leave No Trace Principles with Dogs
8. Health and Safety
9. Camping with Dogs
10. Non-Hiking Outdoor Activities to Enjoy with your Dog
11. A Selection of Dog-Friendly Hikes across the United States