From cooperation to a new cold war: is this the future for today's two great powers?
U.S. policy toward China is at an inflection point. For more than a generation, since the 1970s, a near-consensus view in the United States supported engagement with China, with the aim of integrating China into the U.S.-led international order. By the latter part of the 2010s, that consensus had collapsed as a much more powerful and increasingly assertive China was seen as a strategic rival to theUnited States. How the two countries tackle issues affecting the most important bilateral relationship in the world will significantly shape overall international relations for years to come.
In this timely book, leading scholars of U.S.-China relations and China's foreign policy address recent changes in American assessments of China's capabilities and intentions and consider potential risks to international security, the significance of a shifting international distribution of power, problems of misperception, and the risk of conflicts. China's military modernization, its advancing technology, and its Belt and Road Initiative, as well as regional concerns, such as the South China Sea disputes, relations with Japan, and tensions on the Korean Peninsula, receive special focus.
1. Rivalry and Security in a New Era for US-China Relations, Jacques deLisle and Avery Goldstein
2. Assessing the Dangers of Conflict: The Sources and Consequences of Deepening US-China Competition, Charles L. Glaser
3. China's Contribution to the US-China Security Dilemma, Alastair Iain Johnston
4. An Ideological Contest in US-China Relations? Assessing China's Defense of Autocracy, Jessica Chen Weiss
5. Stormy Seas: The South China Sea in US-China Relations, M. Taylor Fravel and Kacie Miura
6. Japan and US-China Strategic Competition: In from the Beginning, Michael J. Green
7. No Space to Hedge: US-China Competition and Its Impact on Korea, Victor Cha
8. The Taiwan Issue in US-China Relations: Sliding into a Security Dilemma?, Scott L. Kastner
9. US-China Relations and Chinese Military Modernization, Phillip C. Saunders
10. Globalized Innovation and Great Power Competition: The US-China Tech Clash, Elsa B. Kania and Adam Segal
11. China's Belt and Road Initiative, James Reilly