Unlocking the American Dream
At a time when deep divisions headline the national discourse on equality, Reclaiming the American Dream: Proven Solutions for Creating Economic Opportunity for All uses real-world examples to illustrate how America can evolve to include everyone in its promise of opportunity.
Living Cities President and CEO Ben Hecht has spent decades exploring how leaders take proactive measures to combat growing racial disparity, without relying on slow-moving policies or the whims of Washington, D.C., to make changes in their own backyards. The strategies highlighted in Reclaiming the American Dream offer a blueprint for how communities can rekindle the promise of the American Dream through improving educational opportunities, strengthening civic engagement, and providing a ladder to economic security.
Each of us—whether as an elected leader, engaged neighbor, corporate CEO, philanthropist, or investor—can act right now to secure the economic future of our country and help level the playing field for struggling Americans everywhere.
Part I: Enabling Opportunity through Education
1. Enable High School Students to Earn Free College Degrees
2. Graduate All Enrolled College Students
3. Build a Path to a Degree for Workers on the Job
4. Fix the Education System, Cradle to Career
Part II: Increasing Income through Jobs
5. Support People Who Will Start and Grow Companies
6. Use All of the Assets of Place
Part III: Increasing Wealth through Homeownership
7. Expand Access to Homeownership
Part IV: Creating Opportunity through Access
8. Harness the Benefits of Shared-Use Mobility
9. Bring Affordable High-Speed Internet Access to Everyone
Part V: Strengthening the Civic Fabric and Our Commitment to the Greater Good
10. Foster the Effectiveness of Government
11. Deepen Individual Engagement in Government and Community
12. Enable the Long View